Position: Director of Finance and Administration (Verwaltungsleiter*in) (m/f/x)
Type of contract: Full-time or part-time / 40 hours per week
Start date: 1 January 2022 or as soon as possible
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Description of the post:
The International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) is looking for a Director of Finance and Administration to take on a leading role in the dynamic environment of our growing secretariat in Berlin, the Permanent Office (PO). This newly created role, with a lot of room for development, will take over responsibility for professionalizing numerous processes and procedures.
You will be responsible for the finances of the IHRA and the administration of the Permanent Office. As part of the management board, you will report directly to the Secretary General. You will draw up the annual budgets and, together with the Secretary General, report to the “Budget Committee” which consists of representatives of the Member Countries of the IHRA. In addition to German language skills at a native level (C2), you also have very good English language skills.
The secretariat, currently consisting of 14 people, will continue to grow and you will play a central role in this process. You can use your HR expertise both in recruiting processes and in the day-to-day administration of all personnel issues. You will be supported by an experienced Office Manager. You will also be in charge of introducing a transparent salary structure, as well as the introduction of target agreement interviews and feedback rounds for the staff. In the medium term, you will organize the introduction of a salary scale based on the public service in Germany (TVöD).
The IHRA is the first organization to which the host state law, passed in 2019, is applied and the registered association (eingetragener Verein) must be transferred to the newly created legal personality of an "international institution". Coordinating all relevant processes will be, to a great extent, your area of work. This will include issues such as business management, taxes, personnel law and strategic aspects. You will be supported in this complex project by an external auditing company. As intensive discussions with donors and authorities are to be expected, you should feel comfortable applying your negotiating skills.
You have at least two years of management experience in financial accounting and personnel administration. Since you will be working with confidential information, we expect a high level of discretion and loyalty. The ability to organize oneself and to work independently is central.
We offer an open and welcoming working atmosphere in an international team. The compatibility of family and work is important to us and working hours can be arranged flexibly (working remotely can be arranged whenever possible).
The tasks of the Director of Finance and Administration will include the following duties it is, however, a position that will develop dynamically:
- Direct management of the Office Manager, two IT staff (newly created roles), two secretarial staff (newly created roles)
- Creation and controlling of all budgets, bookkeeping and coordination with project managers
- Approval of payment procedures
- Preparation of the annual financial statements in cooperation with an external service provider
- Preparation of budget reports and presentations for the "Budget Committee of the sponsoring organization (in English)
- Coordination of audits by the tax authorities and social security agencies
- Monitoring of external payroll accounting
- Management of the personnel budget and responsible for matters relating to personnel law
- Rental matters
- HR, including the creation of transparent recruiting processes
- Special projects, such as the implementation of the host state ordinance on the basis of the host state law
- University degree corresponding to the tasks
- Several years of relevant professional experience in a managerial position, ideally in the management of a non-profit association, a foundation, or a publicly financed organization
- In-depth knowledge in the field of business administration as well as managing public budgets, public grants, labor and collective bargaining law
- Sound experience in human resources,
- Negotiation skills, persuasiveness, and a team-oriented management style
- Resilience and a high degree of initiative
- German at native level (C2) and very good English skills
- Willingness to go on occasional business trips
- Experience in dealing with Microsoft SharePoint is desirable, but not absolutely necessary
- Sensitivity to the mandate of the IHRA
We offer a permanent full-time position as well as an attractive salary. If you can imagine supporting the IHRA in its international work, then we would be very happy to receive your application. Please combine your documents (letter of motivation, CV, references and certificates) in a single PDF document. Please state your salary expectations and send your application to email@example.com . Please refrain from submitting a photo.
Please name two persons as references and their contact details. They should be available to answer questions about your previous professional activities.
About the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA)
The IHRA currently consists of 35 member countries, which in turn send governmental representatives and national experts from the fields of Holocaust education, remembrance and research to work together on an international level. The aim of the organization is to strengthen the willingness to work internationally. To this end, IHRA delegates meet several times a year to develop joint strategies and policy recommendations for educational, academic issues and remembrance. In addition, it is the task of the IHRA to promote and implement transnational projects that aim to jointly initiate Holocaust education, remembrance and research across national borders. Moreover, an integral part of our mandate is the commemoration of the genocide of the Roma and to fight anti-Roma discrimination and antisemitism.
The IHRA Permanent Office, which currently has 14 employees, coordinates the IHRA's activities. It advises and supports the IHRA presidency, which rotates annually, in implementing political priorities, coordinates the preparation of plenary sessions, implements policy recommendations of the plenary and represents the IHRA at international meetings. In addition, the secretariat manages the project funding programs and supports the IHRA Working Groups and the implementation of IHRA projects.
If you have any questions and need more information about the IHRA or the advertised position, we will be happy to answer them. Please contact Dr Katrhin Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org
The IHRA promotes equality for all people and wants to create a working atmosphere of inclusion and respectful treatment for all applicants and employees. Equality and inclusion determine everything we do. Persons with severe disabilities and persons of equal status are therefore given preferential treatment.